Monday, December 24, 2012

CHRISTMAS EVE 2012

Its Christmas Eve.  I haven't posted in a long time, even now I struggle at what to write.  The latter half of this year has been very stressful for me, yet God has brought me through. 

Aside from personal crisis, I lost two friends to cancer.  One of those friends was a young woman from work, and the other was a dear friend that I served in ministry with.

Geneva Smith-Anderson and I met in the summer of 91 through an outreach jail & prison ministry we were apart of.  In the following years our ministry expanded from conducting worship services in the County Jail to conducting worship services at the Women's Correctional facility in Kankakee. We also did a weekly radio broadcast.  In 2000 she continued to minister to the incarcerated  as I transitioned to providing aftercare ministry to those who received Christ through her ministry.

After she and her husband moved to Indiana to pastor a young congregation, we continued to stay in touch through phone calls, emails, and visits.
She was the god-mother to all of my grandchildren.  Several hours after Geneva went home to be with Jesus, my youngest daughter (whom Geneva stood with me in prayer for a safe and healthy pregnancy) gave birth (at 36 weeks) to a 6 lb 4 oz baby boy.

Although I miss her, I celebrate her, a life well lived for the Lord; and rejoice that she is in His presence.

Favorite phrases and scriptures of Geneva:

"To God be the Glory!"

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths."

"God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!"

1 comment:

ElenaLee (Barn Swallow) said...

Geneva sounds like a lovely woman! It's great to see your writing again. I'm praying you will experience a special sense of God's comfort, rest, and joy going into the new year. I love you!